When To File For Bankruptcy
If you need to know when the right time to file for bankruptcy is, then we suggest meeting with a bankruptcy lawyer from The Law Office of Michael A. Ziegler, PL. Under the supervision of the Federal Courts, bankruptcy can be used to dramatically restructure a consumer’s loans or eliminate them altogether. The goal of a Clearwater bankruptcy attorney is to give the consumer a fresh start to better manage their finances. Our goal is to help our clients reach financial stability.
Can You Plan Ahead For Bankruptcy?
When you find yourself in a financial crisis, you may be wondering what you can do to plan ahead. Should you sell your house? Should you move in with a friend? Would filing for bankruptcy help your situation? Many people are hesitant to file for bankruptcy because it can feel like personal and financial failure. However, bankruptcy is a great tool to use when you need to eliminate and/or reorganize debt.
Our bankruptcy lawyers at The Law Office of Michael A. Ziegler, PL understand the hesitation you may have when it comes to filing for bankruptcy, but it is possible for you to plan ahead to get more comfortable and understand how the process works. We can work with you to determine how you should be budgeting, how you should time your bankruptcy filing, and to see what kind of exemptions there may be.
How Do I Budget For Bankruptcy?
This may sound like something you would not need to do. Shouldn’t bankruptcy pull you out of debt once you file? However, it takes more planning than that. If you have been able to pay off some of your debt to creditors and are still actively making payments, you may no longer be required to do this after filing for bankruptcy. That now leaves you extra money to budget for yourself each month. When a creditor’s debt will be discharged, such as medical bills and credit card debts, we may encourage you to stop payments.
You may think it is good that you can pay off as much debt as possible. However, once we determine which debt will be discharged it is, frankly, a waste of your money. It is better to use that money to pay off any child support payments you may have missed or your mortgage.
Timing the Filing of Bankruptcy
You may think that if you have no money, you should simply file for bankruptcy as soon as possible. There are a few things a lawyer for bankruptcy may encourage clients to consider when it comes to the timing:
- Moving. If you are planning to move to another state, the timing for filing bankruptcy is important. If a certain state will allow you to use exemptions to keep more property when you file for bankruptcy, you want to make sure you aren’t setting yourself up for the opposite by moving to another state.
- Bills. When you file for bankruptcy, it does not eliminate your future debt. Instead, it eliminates the debt that you have already accrued. So, if you are hoping to wipe out your medical bills but know that you still have thousands of dollars of medical bills coming in the future, you will still need to pay those. It is best to discuss any future debt you know you will have with your bankruptcy lawyer so that we can advise you on the best timing.
- How Long Is The Bankruptcy Timeline In Florida?
- Which Chapter Of Bankruptcy Should I File?
- What Are The Bankruptcy Exemption Rules In Florida?
- What Is The 341 Meeting Of Creditors In Bankruptcy Law?
- What Is The Means Test In Bankruptcy Law?
- What Are The Top Misconceptions People Have About Filing For Bankruptcy?
- Can I File For Bankruptcy Separately From My Spouse?
- Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Bankruptcy
Pre & Post Bankruptcy:
- Can Overdue Taxes Ever Be Discharged In A Bankruptcy?
- What Actually Is Wage Garnishment?
- What Can I Do If My Wages Are Already Being Garnished?
- What Steps Do I Need To Take Before Filing For Bankruptcy?
- What Positive Outcomes Do Clients See After Filing For Bankruptcy?
- How Soon Can I Finance A Car After Bankruptcy?
When is it Time to File for Bankruptcy?
Filing for bankruptcy can be beneficial if used appropriately, such as when:
- A consumer has multiple debts that are behind
- A consumer has lost the income to support the payments due on their loans
- A consumer is upside down on their home loan or other secured debts
- A consumer is being garnished
- A consumer is on the verge of losing their home to foreclosure
Why it is Important to Hire a Bankruptcy Lawyer?
While bankruptcy can provide tremendous benefits, filing without the proper guidance from a bankruptcy lawyer at The Law Office of Michael A. Ziegler, PLcan be devastating. In fact, without the help of a bankruptcy lawyer in Clearwater, consumers might find themselves worse off than before!
Bankruptcy has numerous requirements under State and Federal law. Additionally, a bankruptcy petition requires a substantial amount of documentation. If the paperwork is not properly completed, a consumer may be forced to turn their property over to the bankruptcy court when they may not otherwise have been required to do so. Even worse, the consumer’s case may simply be dismissed.
Hiring a bankruptcy lawyer helps ensure your rights are upheld. You stand the best possible chance of securing financial stability with the assistance of a professional.
- Bankruptcy Lawyer Clearwater
- Bankruptcy Attorney Clearwater
- Bankruptcy Lawyer Clearwater
- Bankruptcy Lawyers St. Petersburg
- Alternatives to Bankruptcy
- Bankruptcy Attorney St. Petersburg
- Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Attorney Clearwater
- Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Attorney Clearwater
- What Are The Differences Between Chapter 7 And Chapter 13 Bankruptcy?
We have filed bankruptcy cases under both Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 of the United States Bankruptcy Code. With years of experience as lawyers for bankruptcy, we have adequate knowledge of both state and federal regulations. During the initial meeting, we’ll determine if you meet the bankruptcy qualifications.
The content of this page is general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute as advice for bankruptcy. You can reach our law firm at (727) 538-4188. To meet with a qualified lawyer for bankruptcy insight at The Law Office of Michael A. Ziegler, PL simply fill out the form to the right or give us a call.
Michael is a zealous advocate that provides personalized attention to each individual client’s legal issue.
I endorse this lawyer’s work. He is a skilled and respected member of the legal community. He is a true advocate for the rights and interests of his clients.
This attorney and his staff are very prompt with helping me during and after my chapter 13 bankruptcy. I needed to refinance the house at a lower rate and what was left on my credit report was slowing the process way down. Since contacting his office about the current issues one was solved in a very short time. I highly recommend him and or his staff to anyone that needs professional help in the future.
Call Now for a Free Case Evaluation
Clearwater: (727) 538-4188 | Tampa: (813) 225-3111