Can You Sue For Personal Injuries In A Vehicle Crash?
Florida Motor Vehicle AccidentIf you have suffered injury in a car accident caused primarily by someone else, you can be compensated for your injuries under Florida law. Don’t think you will get a fair offer from an insurance company. They are in business to keep their costs as low as possible. To get the compensation you deserve, you need a good Florida motor vehicle accident attorney. Many who are in motor vehicle accidents suffer catastrophic injuries and ongoing medical issues in addition to property damage.
Many People Suffer Bodily Injury in Florida Traffic AccidentsA lot of us have been in automobile accidents. We usually just walk away from fender benders a bit stiff but without long-term injuries. Unfortunately, that is often the not the case for more serious accidents. Sometimes injuries are life-threatening or cause disabilities that are ongoing. According to the most recent statistics available, There are about 6.75 million motor vehicle crashes in the US each year. That’s approximately 18,510 car crashes every day.
- Florida has its share. There are over 400,000 crashes each year.
- In over 4.8 million of US crashes (of the 6.75 million nationally), people only suffer property damage.
- But 2,740,000 in the US crashes are not so fortunate and sustain injuries. Just in Florida, 236,000 people suffer injuries from motor vehicle accidents each year.
- Over 36,000 die in motor vehicle accidents nationally each year.
- Over 3,000 die just in Florida. In fact, Florida has one of the highest vehicle accident fatality rates in the nation following California and Texas.
What Should I Do if I Am in a Florida Car Accident?Your first priority should be seeking medical help if you need it. After that, if you have been injured, you should call a good Florida personal injury lawyer. attorney. If you wait too long, you could lose your rights.
How Can I Win a Florida Motor Vehicle Accident Lawsuit?
- Each case varies, and you will want to consult with your Florida motor vehicle accident lawyer about your own situation. However, there are specifics that must be proven before a judge will award compensation.
- A duty of care exists. In other words, people are expected to obey traffic laws.
- The other party breached the duty of care. The other party did not obey traffic laws. They were speeding or ran a light or swerved into your lane for example.
- You suffered damages as a result of the other party’s legally required action or inaction. Expect the other side and the insurance company to accuse you of exaggerating your damages. You need show proof for everything you claim. This is complex when claiming something like lost future wages due to disability, but a good Florida motor vehicle accident attorney can help you.
What if I am Partially at Fault for the Accident?Under Florida law, you may be able to collect damages even if you are partially at fault. So don’t wait another day to contact a Florida car accident lawyer even if you think you were partially at fault. For example, when one party runs a red light but the other party is speeding, if one is found to be only 30% at fault, that person can collect 70% of the total damages they suffered. What Kind of Compensation Can I Collect? Damages go far beyond property damage and current medical bills. For example, if you suffer a disability that will impact your earning capacity for the rest of your life, you can be compensated for that. Check a more complete list of the losses for which you may be compensated.
What Are Common Reasons for Motor Vehicle Accidents?Human nature being what it is, there are a multitude of reasons for car accidents. Some of the most common include
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving (including texting)
- Auto defects
- Bad weather
- Hurdles in the road sometimes due to construction
Statute of Limitations Under Florida LawWe understand if you are injured in a Florida motor vehicle accident that at first you may not feel up to contacting an attorney or doing much of anything beyond trying to heal. But be aware the clock is ticking.
- You have 10 days to file a vehicle accident report with the police. If the police came to the scene of the accident, they will file the report.
- If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident, you have four years after the date of your injury to file a lawsuit. This is the statute of limitations under Florida Statutes section 95.11(3)(a). That doesn’t mean you can wait until a week before the statute of limitations expires to consult with a Florida motor vehicle accident attorney. Your attorney needs to start collecting evidence and giving you the advice you need to make your case as soon as possible after the accident.
Call Us for a Free ConsultationIf you or a family member has suffered property damage or bodily injury in a motor vehicle accident, or if a family member has died in such an accident, call the experienced motor vehicle accident attorneys at Ziegler Diamond Law for a free consultation as soon as you can. Don’t wait and risk losing your rights. We will evaluate your case and discuss your options with you. Fill out and submit this form. Or just call us directly at (727) 538-4188 in Clearwater, (813) 225-3111 in Tampa or (352) 600-1326 in Mt. Dora.
Recently I had two harassment cases handled by Michael Ziegler’s firm. From start to finish my Attorney kept me up to speed on every detail. Thank you attorneys Michael Ziegler and Kaelyn Steinkraus. By the way, I WON BOTH CASES.
The best place , the best services,the best communication….the best place for you can trust,confident….thanks a lot
Such an amazing experience. The law office handled everything on my behalf. Thank you so much! Totally recommend!
This firm really helped me get out of a tough situation and I would recommend them. Everything I was told was true and my credit score is on it’s way back up. Thank you Mike, Jamie, and the rest of your great team. I have recommended your firm to others.
Mr. Michael Ziegler was a true blessing. I was able to keep my home and not to be bankruptcy; Him and his staff are kind and professional. He was very considerate and up front about everything in my foreclosure case. If I have any other issues, I will definitely be calling him. Thank you very much for everything Mr. Ziegler.
Call Now for a Free Case Evaluation
Clearwater: (727) 538-4188 | Tampa: (813) 225-3111